Thursday, July 30, 2015

The unwritten letter


One of the most serene and breathtakingly beautiful places I have visited so far, includes the sleepy town of Rameshwaram. It is hard to say what makes this place so special. It has its own charm and hits you with its simplicity. I first read about this place in "Wings of Fire". The most true description of this place. Rameshwaram undoubtedly has given us one of the most inspiring, lovable and genuine person, technologist, President and teacher of not only India, but the world. 

Past couple of days have been in disbelief. Avoiding to write, yet reading each bit of news and experiences about the great personality. It is really worth a thought, how every single person who has met him, has a positive incident about him to share. I don't remember when was it that I read this book. It was gifted to me. It changed my perspective. About myself. About dreams. About chasing dreams and a journey called life. It felt that I have known this person. What was it that I connected with is still hard to say. Ever since I read the book, I wanted to meet him. A person so great in thought, character and action. Yet, so humble and down-to-Earth. With roots attached on ground, and head held high. Don't know what is so charming about him- the ease of making any dream come true, the capability to break through the 'religion' label, or the art to smile through any situation. I could never meet him. I had read somewhere that he did respond to letters written by students. I wanted to write one. Unfortunately over the years, it took a back seat, and was lost in the chaos of thoughts of the mind and life. Missed it. The unwritten letter. 
Why do we tend to forget the little things that make us who we are? Why do we forget the important people, books, personalities who influenced us? 

Dear Kalam Sir, you are a true hero. Heroes live forever. Thank you for giving us wings of fire and igniting our minds. You definitely touched several lives. You live forever, in our hearts.

----------------------------------------------------------
Get yourself to do that something you always wanted to-even if it is as simple as writing a letter. Life doesn't give a second chance. Though I could never meet him, I feel indirectly connected by two things- One, that I could work for a while at the organisation where he did- ISRO. And two, I got an opportunity to visit Rameshwaram and the lands end- Dhanushkodi. 


Mandapam to Pambam 

Dhanushkodi

Dhanushkodi


The rail bridge seen from road bridge




4 comments:

  1. I agree that Dr Kalam was truly a great personality, someone worth emulating. And I must say you have poured your heart in this short piece. Wish, Dr Kalam could have read this! I read his book Wings of Fire when I was doing my post-graduation. Didn't knew at that time that I will get a chance to work in the organization where Dr Kalam worked. To that extent I also feel a connection with him. Though a visit to Rameshwaram, Pamban and Dhanushkodi is still a dream. And I would also like to visit his home there; of course if I ever could!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for reading Mohit. I am sure you will get that opportunity sooner than you know. Best wishes.

      Delete
  2. Superb! Excellently expressed! Respect to you and Dr. Kalam of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the kind words and for reading this 'unknown' , can't see the name.

    ReplyDelete