Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A historic day







20th July, 1969. A giant leap for mankind, Apollo 11 landed on the only natural satellite that faithfully orbits the Earth. The first time ever man set foot on a body outside Earth, first time ever the samples got back to study, an incredible journey of exceptional technology (Saturn V, one of the best ever), and courage. It is hard for us to even imagine what it must have been like. Apollo 11 started a whole new adventure and a science for humanity. We proved, that no boundaries exist for the human mind. If an idea is conceived, then definitely there is a way to achieve it. It set a new benchmark for space science and exploration (and ignited a passion for outer space in many little minds).

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

Do watch the video on NASA page. 

(For any Apollo lovers there, one of the best books I have read about Apollo missions is "Man on Moon" by Andrew Chaikins. I agree that Apollo 11 should be a separate blog too).

20th July, 1976. Viking 1 lander touched the surface of another planet- the Red Planet Mars. It beamed the pictures of this amazing planet leaving us spellbound. After so many years, our curiosity has only built up, and Curiosity (the robot geologist) carries the legacy forward of the landers of Mars. A science initiated by the Viking. Viking performed experiments there like a dedicated student and excelled, the laboratory being a whole new planet to explore. It went on to make discoveries about the Martian atmosphere and the surface too. 

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/viking.html


20th July 2015. Happy 2nd birthday to " I, my kaleidoscope and the world"--about myself, my beliefs and views and my way of life. My colorful and sometimes a black and white kaleidoscope. About the world- its amazing rocks, and out of the world too! It's been a great ride around the Sun. A happening year too, learning a lot, completing more than a year as a teacher and mentor. Much more things which would rather be undone, but these are 'experiences' at the cost of mistakes. Lessons learnt. Life goes on :) All your wishes may not be fulfilled, but then do you thank for all your blessings?

I wish to express a huge THANK YOU to each one of you who spend their precious minutes and read this blog (nearing 2000 page views, which means a lot for me). It isn't only a blog for me, it is a small space I have of myself to express just a handful of the innumerable thoughts that rush through. A medium to say things which I would not have otherwise. I write for fun. The flow of thoughts and emotions which come with writing are satisfying (try it! ). I may not have been the best daughter or sister or friend, but every new day gives me a chance to improve. 

Every 20th July may not be historic. Still, no day is ever the same, be sure you make the most of every new day. Smile a little more, fret a little less, love lots, dream big and keep travelling! Don't keep these as a 'to-do' list for tomorrow, there may be none.



Keep reading, it keeps me motivated. 

2 comments:

  1. Makes sense that Apollo 11 was launched on your bday... your loyalty rivals the moon's! ;P (P.S. You are gold... keep rocking)

    ReplyDelete